Technology has undoubtedly changed the way we engage with the world in a whole host of ways. One place where it’s having a big impact on communication is in schools. Here, state of the art apps and attractive websites are being used to help parents, pupils and staff stay in touch on a daily basis.
Not only does this type of technology give many parents the chance to get involved with their school, there are a range of benefits for schools. For a start, it can greatly lower the cost of communication as well as making it easier and less labour intensive where admin staff are concerned.
But what do parents really get out of the app?
- Quick communication: Most of us carry around smartphones and tablets nowadays. That means one simple app can give parents immediate access to the latest information. It’s simple to download and easy to use.
- Notifications: If a school has an urgent message that needs to go out to parents it can do this with a simple interface. For example, if bad weather is expected, staff can send out a notification to parents to come and collect their children earlier than.
- Easy access: Parents can get the information they need wherever they are and at any time of day. If they want to see the latest OFSTED report, they can quickly download it onto their phone or tablet. They can see what school meals are on for the day or check their child’s timetable for the week.
- Keeping up with the news: If things are happening in the school, parents can get regular updates and are more likely to engage, for instance, if there’s a sports day or school play planned for the future.
- Filling in forms: If parents need to fill in forms or the school wants to run a survey the app is a perfect way to do this. Payments can even be taken for certain school outings and other expenses.
We’re all busy nowadays. Both parents in a family unit are often working and keeping track of what’s happening at school can be challenging. The solutions that a school app provide not only help mums and dads, however, but streamlines processes for schools as well.
Because updating the app and sending out notifications and other information is made simple and can be handled by fewer people, there’s less pressure on administration staff, particularly when there’s a problem that parents need to be notified about. OFSTED are also keen to see schools developing better communication strategies an using apps can lead to a better report overall. The app can be used to engage with multiple family members and gives schools the chance to make all sorts of information available at the touch of a button.
There are added advantages if your school is running an event such as a fund raiser as it gives heads and administrators the opportunity to send out personal messages to parents and create more engagement. Some apps can allow parents to buy tickets online, for example, for school plays or pay for other events such as trips.
There’s no doubt that these apps benefit both schools and parents and provide a much more efficient way to engage on a daily basis. Contact our development team today to find out how a school app can work for you.